Serpents’ Slumber.


Shivering, I awake. The chilly night is not to blame, but rather, it is a fierce motion, generated from the epicentre of my being. Something is wrong, profoundly wrong. Wiping the sleep from my eyes, I discover where I am and as a result know that I am dreaming. Lying on my double bed, in the corner of my old room, a cool, coarse wall on my left and the wooden computer desk on my right. Sitting up in my nostalgia, I peer around the room. Peculiarly, my eyes do not need to adjust to the darkness around me. My reverie is broken by the motion of a glowing entity passing through my closed door.


Edging to the end of the bed, I confront a curious creature. Slithering on the floor towards me is a snake-like animal. Apart from the head, the green-patterned length of it is mostly snake. In its place is a bleached human skull with a shimmering haze in the eye-sockets and fangs instead of customary teeth. Wisps of ashen hair dance as it moves. This disproportionate construct is disturbing and vile. The ethereal beast rears-up with a loud hiss to face me. Ghostly eyes meet mine; our heads sway from side to side, mesmerized. Caught up by this spell, I fail to comprehend when the transformation occurs…one becomes three.


The three serpents stand still, tasting my fear and sweat by means of their flickering, forked tongues. They blink once in unison and attack. Their movement is that of a lightning strike, the released tension of a spring exploding. Time freezes. Suddenly I am an observer, watching a still-life of myself and the demons. I have become an apparition, projected away from my body. The scene before me appears to be subdued in colour and contrast, as if I’m looking at a photo in an old newspaper. A washed-out reflection of reality (was this not a dream to begin with?). Air rushes around me and pulls me in the direction of my corporeal body; becoming whole once more.


Calmness embraces me now. The world begins to rotate and activity flows to life. Sidestepping the initial assault I grab the tail of the first fiend and, in one fluid reaction, swing it into the computer monitor. The screen, along with the skull, shatters; the pieces glitter like starlight. Pain blooms upon my leg and back as the remaining monsters find their mark. I feed my emotions and sensations into the flame that resides within the void of my mind. Unlatching, they circle me. I charge for the basilisk in front of me. My action is a surprise, for my foot is allowed to make direct contact with its head. Staring at the limp body, a primal rage vaporizes the void and brings about an awareness of my injuries.  A mixture of agony and anger manufactures a cry as I go down on one knee. With my strength waning, I realize that the only way to secure my victory is to accept defeat. The final predator leaps in my direction, maw open wide. I vaguely remember smiling whilst the fangs close onto my throat. Mustering my ultimate resolve, I grasp unto the jaws with each hand and pull. The serpent slowly splits apart from tongue to tail.


I lie on the floor, blood-stained and broken. A reflection on my blood attracts my paling attention. A man, clothed in moonlight, walks in. I faintly see his lips move but his words never reach me. A look of frustration appears on his face. He starts to fade away as if born of smoke. Exulted, the shivers dissipate. I close my eyes.


I belong to Sleep now.

~  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog